Thursday 22 October 2015

INTERNATIONAL STAMMERING AWARENESS DAY

INTERNATIONAL STAMMERING AWARENESS DAY


HI ALL So today is International  Stammering  Awareness Day to be honest I didn’t know this day even existed  but I’ve never  celebrated my speech, I’ve never been proud of it (until now) and in the past I never embraced it or was open about how my speech deeply affected me or even in general.
 I just tried my best to hide it by not speaking ,avoiding people, situations and I simply let my speech control my life so why would I know about or want to talk about a day that celebrates awareness when my stammer was something I hated, desperately  wanted to escape and something that I always tried to hide?



I looked at my speech negatively and now through openness , changing my frame of mind, support and being able to control and manage my stammer I feel so much lighter, better, more confident and  I’m so much happier.

You have a stammer so what? If people are ignorant, impatient and rude that’s THEIR PROBLEM not yours don’t blame yourself for their poor social skills. If they simply can’t wait or be patient and understanding then they’re not worth talking to.

You’re also NOT ALONE Group Speech Therapy made me feel whole... I was trapped and lonely so relating to someone else was something I really needed.
AND the McGuire Programme just CHANGED MY LIFE. There is not cure for a Stammer but being able to control your speech rather than stammering out of control and letting it control you is BIG being able to confidently speak ,embrace it and be happy and also being at peace with your impediment is AMAZING.

Despite my dark times with my stammer the struggle has made me a stronger, determined person.
When you hit rock bottom the only way you can go is up and this is what happened with my stammer.

I encourage everyone who has a stammer to go on the McGuire Programme and to be honest with your family and friends you need support.

To loved ones of stammerers, don’t rush them; don’t tell them to slow down, don’t panic ,don’t finish their sentences, don’t cringe ,don’t feel sorry for them just be PATIENT and UNDERSTANDING. LET THEM SPEAK ON THEIR OWN TERMS.

If you show negative emotions towards their speech then they’re going to have negative emotions towards their stammer and think there’s something wrong with them when they just simply have a Stammer (this will psychologically, mentally and emotionally affect them).

Plus people speaking for you just makes you feel inadequate and stupid. How do you know what I’m going to say? How would you feel if someone cut you off and tried to finish your sentences? This might be a relief to some stammerers but you’re never going to learn, accept your speech and you can’t have people speaking for you for the rest of your life.

You have a voice.

We have voices, it’s NOT THE END OF THE WORLD ( I survived lol) and to our listeners We can speak just wait and listen.

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL STAMMERING AWARENESS DAY!
BE PROUD OF YOUR SPEECH AND I HOPE THIS POST HAS BEEN POSITIVE AND INSIGHTFUL.
NUFF LOVE
MEKISHA
xxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by KotrynaBassDesign